Monday 29 July 2024

Day trip to Mirfield

This morning we set off just after nine, that was Tina, Rosie, Hattie and me. It was a reasonable drive and we went to a service before lunch. After that Tina  had a meeting so the rest of us went for a wander. Rosie and Hattie went to explore and I had taken my sketch book at Tina’s suggestion. The first sketch was a sideways view of the crucifixion in a wooded area, so a challenge, but I drew it from where there was a bench in the shade!
I went back into the beautiful church as I thought the glass doors and the new altar were fabulous.
I went back to the house to join the others to have tea and biscuits with the monks. Charlie, one of the monks does some amazing origami. I bought one of the shells.
Tina and the girls went to evensong and I finished off my second sketch. Haven’t done a pen one for a while.
We had tea at IKEA and then made our way home. Will finish with the best pic I could get of the sky!






























2 comments:

  1. Glad your day went well. Nice to do a bit of sketching, and a lovely place for photos too. You have some great ones of the church. I’m not usually keen on glass doors on churches, but those are lovely. I’m a bit of a traditionalist really when it comes to things like that. I suppose I need dragging into the 21st century 🙂 I really like the pen sketch, but they always have been my favourites.
    You saved the best for last though. I think the reflection of the sky in the mirror and on the car is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a tiring day, but good to see Mirfield again, it has been a while for me, and chatting with the monks is a pleasure.
    I like traditional churches too, but love the simplicity and beauty of the Mirfield church too.
    I thought the sky picture turned out well.

    ReplyDelete