Saturday 4 May 2024

Active day

This morning I went along to the shop early as usual. Then went into the garden and checked the sunflowers and three are now broken. Fingers crossed the rest will keep growing and maybe the broken ones will send out side shoots. I had checked the bus times as I wanted to go to the garden centre to get some new bird feeders. It is a reasonable walk up t the garden centre from the bus stop, so a good start to the day. Whilst waiting for the bus I took a photo of the entrance to the dentist over the road. I have often admired the mosaic but never thought to take a picture.
I was actually very disappointed with the selection of feeders but bought some anyway, plus a little wren decoration and some gloves.
An amusing story about feeders later!
I had a cuppa and then had a look in The Works and got this perfect book to enjoy.
I didn’t time catching the bus back well so after a sit in the bus stop started to walk some of the way. I got to a pub in Seaton village and probably managed about a mile. There were a couple of benches so had little rests! Passed this sign in the village.
After lunch I walked along to Sher’s shop at Number Nine as she had a garden market with some of her artists there. I just bought some cards that were prints of some very nice paintings. When I got home I decided to mow the lawn in the front garden. Just the bigger one. I have to admit that when it was so hard the first one with the moss I did think perhaps I had bitten off more that I could chew. I didn’t take a before but it was much easier today, I didn’t have to use the strimmer as well. Still took over an hour though but very pleased with the result.
After tea I went out to put the new bird feeders into action. The one with the larger top in the picture came with a pole which I thought would make it more tricky for the squirrels and the design was such that it would not be easy for starlings and pigeons to land on so more chance of the smaller birds getting a look in. I out it the honeysuckle plant and came indoors. It may deter starlings and pigeons, but not it seems seagulls! One was sat on top of it stretching down, it is now leaning precariously!
Tina has been away for a couple of days and brought back those delightful little pots. If they were turned I really don’t know how.













2 comments:

  1. A very active day! Reasonable weather down this way, so I hope it was good for you up there. A trip to the garden centre was a good start to the day. You’ve been through a few bird feeders over the years. It’s an expensive hobby feeding the local wildlife 🙂 The ones you got look ok. I’m sure the birds will appreciate them…..including the seagulls! I hope the one on the pole manages to stay upright for a while at least.
    I like the book. Hopefully you can get in the summerhouse with a nice cuppa with it.
    A fair few steps for you today, and a few more mowing the lawn too. Glad to hear the second cut was a bit easier than the first. It does like nice.
    The little pots a very cute. Throwing those would be great fun I’m sure. I vaguely remember one of the Throw Down episodes was “throwing on the lump” where they had a big lump of clay on the wheel but only threw little pots at the top of it. Still be a bit of a nightmare to do though!
    I hope the rest of the weekend stays nice so you can get into the garden a bit more. Take it easy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather was good and yes a good number of steps, have met the 10,000 challenge couple of times this week so getting back up there bit by bit.
    I am going to put less food out now and filling the feeders in the afternoon rather than first thing. Not going to throw nuts down on the ground for the squirrels and pigeons because then I get overrun with seagulls. Not that I mind pigeons, squirrels or seagulls, I just don’t want to be feeding them and having them trample the garden!
    Hopefully get the corner lawn in the front done today at least.

    ReplyDelete