Monday 20 May 2024

A tale of a cat and two crows

Quite a busy and definitely unusual day! I wrote a couple of letters and got a package ready to send when I got up, so set off to the post office and came back via the sea. I had a drink and was surprised to have a word pigeon for company, and I think it was nesting as it went off with a twig! We have wood pigeons in the garden regularly but I haven’t seen one at the front before.
I walked back and then as she had a lot of paper to get rid of.
After lunch I went into the back garden to attack the area that used to be the courgette bed, boy, how out of hand the garden has become.
While I was working I could hear the crows going crazy and wondered why, after about ten minutes I decided to go and see. Very high in a tree was a cat being attacked by two crows, I clapped at them and they backed off but were still near and ready to attack again. Tina came out and the branch was so high didn’t really see what we could do. The tree isn’t in out garden it is overhanging from the park. I carried on in the bed I was working on for a while but was backwards and forwards to get the crows away, so ended up spending lots of time clearing near the summer house as my presence under the tree was  a bit of a deterrent.
After over a hour and no sign of the cat moving Tina called the RSPCA. She was on for quite a while and eventually was told they would get back to her.
Tina did explain that she would not phone if it was just a cat in a tree, but emphasised that it was being attacked by two crows. So, I ended up being outside for a long time not venturing too far away. After over an hour Tina phoned the fire brigade who said they wouldn’t come out unless it had been reported by the RSPCA. Tina knows a man who used to be a fireman until recently and he said it was practice night at the local station and if the car was still up the tree he would get some lads to come and see what the could do. After about four hours he seemed to be ready to move, but looked shakey and then settled down again. I nipped into the house for the loo and came straight out to the sound of a crow and one was close to him again. I was worried that he had been hurt or at the very least  getting week through the heat and fright. Tina eventually heard back from the RSPCA to say they wouldn’t come out until he had been there for 24 hours. Just after six Tina appeared with about half a dozen firemen. They couldn’t see how they could get to him either but went off and got a ladder to see if they could get near. The commotion was too much for the cat who jumped out of the tree fron about twenty feet! He scampered off after landing in the undergrowth so hopefully wasn’t injured,
A pity I didn’t take a picture of the area near the summer house as I had spent hours clearing! Did take one of the bed I abandoned.
I cleared the tools away after the excitement and then hosed the back garden which was looking parched and used some cans in the front.
A bit after 7.30pm when I came indoors.
You may guess that I am doing very little else this evening.







2 comments:

  1. You do lead a different and exciting life up there 🙂 None of the boring stuff us mere mortals have to put up with!
    At least your walk this morning went without anything exciting happening. And I suppose being out there on cat/crow watch meant you got some work done to the garden, but I’m sure you could have done without it all. I’m really surprised the RSPCA wouldn’t come out until 24 hours had passed. That’s a very long time to let a cat be stuck up a tree, specially as it was being attacked. They don’t seem to be quite so caring as they used to be! At least you got to see several burly firemen in your garden 🙂 All’s well that ends well I suppose. I’m quite surprised you didn’t take the opportunity of taking pics of all those firemen 🙂 Hopefully tomorrow will be a “normal” day. Good luck with that 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a different day and hopefully not to be repeated any time soon! The crows were persistent and we don’t have nests in it, so difficult to understand really.
    I probably did too much gardening and left the tools out, which is unusual, so of course it has rained!

    ReplyDelete