Saturday 11 July 2020

Back to the auction house

Tina and I had arranged to go into Scarborough today to attend the auction as we both had things we wanted to bid on. Tina had some work to do so I took a walk along Newbegin to the pet shop as I needed more suer blocks for the birds. The scarecrow trail is beck, we haven’t made anything this year but one house has really gone to town.
Took a picture of the front flower bed as I cam home, the greater sea kale got attacked by the wind so I have take the flowers away but not we have a burst of yellow.

We set off for Scarborough and we were lucky enough to get a parking space by the property. We were on time for Tina to bid for the Victorian washstand she wanted bo be used as a portable font in the church. I think it went a little higher than she had expected but she did manage to purchase it.
I had seen a small writing desk that I really liked, I did bid but stopped when it was going higher than I had intended to go. Tina did bid on a pretty rug as it was very reasonable. But our bargain of the day was the wrought iron vegetable rack and wine rack bought for £20, plus commission of course.
Tina got this great set of wooden handled cutlery, in its original box which the unusual feature of the lid being a tray.
I fell in love with a china fruit set. We have done a bit of research now it is home and it is Austrian porcelain, over a hundred years old, has transfer images with some hand painted finishing. Luckily Tina loves it too and has said she will pack away the tea service on the dresser so that it can be on display.
There are twelve plates, four bowls and two of the lovely serving dishes.
The car was packed solid and I had the large and pretty heavy wash bowl on my lap for the journey home!
Surprisingly tiring when you are sitting around bidding for items. The auction house was well organised for social distancing so no problem being there.
An evening in front of the tv.













2 comments:

  1. Wow, that’s a grand display that house has put on! All the characters are really good. Dorothy looks a bit knock kneed though 😊
    Really pleased you had a good day out with the Rev. I know you two always have a good laugh on your trips out, so I’m sure today was no different. You both won some lovely items. The washstand is a lovely thing. Great for a portable font. Good thinking Rev. The cast iron was a bargain and will look nice when full of veg and wine. Lots of veggie casseroles with wine in might be on the cards! The cutlery should feel nice to use with the wooden handles. I prefer them to be honest. I can see why you really wanted to win the fruit set, it’s very pretty. Obviously been well looked after if it’s that old.
    Does look a bit cramped in the car with that huge bowl on your lap! Handy if you happen to feel a bit sick though 🤢😊
    All in all a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They called it ‘somewhere over the rainbow’ which seems totally appropriate at the moment as well!
      It was a good day and we are both happy with our purchases, we did have some laughs as well.
      Way wash the china carefully tomorrow.

      Delete