Friday 5 November 2021

Blog when you can!

I thought it would be for nine or ten days, then yesterday thought I would be blogging every day now, but will catch up on the last couple of days and will see how it goes. There is internet here and yesterday the cook gave me the code, but one of the sisters turned it off in the evening when I was getting around to my entry.
On Wednesday we left home at 1pm and just had one stop en route of about half an hour for comfort, refreshment and car charging! We arrive here at Burnham just after six. Took a sky picture on the way dow my, as I do!
We were welcomed by a lovely sister who made a cup of tea and brought cake for Tina and myself, then Tina set off to spend the night at the brother’s. I met sister Mary Philips who may need my assistance and was showed the locking up routine and given the alarm. The sister also has my mobile phone number in case of emergency. I locked up after the carer had left and lover the door with the peep hole, made me think of films like The Wizard of Oz!
I was pretty tired so was in bed quite early and not needed in the night. I had been told there was scaffolding on the building, but I still have a pretty nice view when I open the the curtains.


I had a walk round the grounds before being given a tour around the amazing building,






In my room there is a rose on the side, it looked artificial as it is stunning and large, but it is real and has a lovely scent too.
I only took one picture while on the abbey tour but will have a wander round and take more  being careful not to disturb the nuns.
The stone walls and fabulous doors are a delight!
There is a path along the outside of the abbey that leads to another road and a post box. As they had some postcards here I had written a few so went on a post box hunt.


The was a roof at the end of the path with bun moss on which I can just about reach! Will have to have a lump to make an abbey themed terrarium!
There are gates round the grounds that have ‘no access’ signs on but the sister told me I can wander anywhere, so in the afternoon I found the ruins and sat and did a bit of sketching.


I went along to the chapel to a service, and when I couldn’t do the blog I spent time reading before going to bed. Not feeling tv withdrawals yet!
Will endeavour to post regularly now.






















2 comments:

  1. It’s good that you don’t have to wait a week to be able to post. It’s surprising how we take the internet for granted, specially when it’s not available. But I know you have lots of pastimes that will keep you occupied, plus you like to explore. So I don’t think you’ll get too bored either way.
    A long trip in an electric car needs slightly more planning as the fast chargers aren’t everywhere yet, but it sounds like Tina had it all sorted and you got there ok. Tea and cake on arrival is always a good start 😊 It sounds like they are all very nice and welcoming. So that also makes your stay easier. I think you’ll enjoy a bit of time without quite so many luxuries we all take for granted these days. I think even I might.
    The place looks lovely. Great buildings internally and externally. Bet the door with the peephole is a few years old. I wonder how many people have opened and closed that over the years, including you now. Shame the scaffolding is there, but it doesn’t really distract from the view, and I suppose the building is in need of constant maintenance.
    I really like the garden with the pond, and that gnarly old tree is gorgeous.
    I think you’ll have lots of photo opportunities both inside and out of that place. Which sister is that in the photo?
    Even the pathway to the postbox looks a pleasant walk. I definitely see an abbey themed terrarium in the future, complete with “borrowed” bun moss 😊
    I expect there’ll be a few more watercolour paintings before you get back too.
    All in all a nice break for you, assuming you don’t get too many calls for assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Mary Lawrence was showing me round. It is a great place with interesting building and grounds. A different pace of life too, time to think! Had a longish walk today, well, by my standards.

    ReplyDelete