Wednesday 21 October 2020

Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

I planned to replant the five planters in the front garden today. I did them soon after we arrived almost three years ago and apart from adding some bedding now and again they have just become more and more unloved looking. They are also incredibly heavy! So I got the metal trolly we have and lifted two onto it and then put tools etc on the bench to make it easier for me to empty them. It was fine drizzly rain for most of the day, and most of the day is what the job took! The pots had become so compacted that it was like solid mud and the bulbs had increased in number. The problem was that they had also sunk and were very root heavy as they had little chance of growing to daylight! I made the mistake of emptying two  tubs of soil onto the garden cart and then could barely move it so Tina helped me get it to the top of the garden for emptying! After that I did one at a time so it was manageable.


It was late afternoon by the time I had finished and cleared away, they don’t look too colourful yet but the small plants only arrived yesterday and they should soon start to fill out now that they are planted,
So many more bulbs to find homes for now. After the pots were done ai cleaned up the bulbs a bit as they were very muddy. I will never see the end of bulbs I think!
I did pop to the shop briefly but other than that not a lot to report and not doing much this evening either!






4 comments:

  1. You’re mad. Replanting planters in the rain and spending all day doing it. You’re retired, you’re supposed to look at the sea and drink not chocolate 😊 They do look a lot better after a bit of TLC though. I’m not even going to comment on the bulbs.......it’s very tempting though! You’ve probably got rheumatoid arthritis now to go along with all the other bits that don’t work 😊
    Hope you stuck to not doing a lot this evening. Think you’ve probably done enough for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did turn out to be a bigger job that I had imagined, but glad to have got them done as it has been on my mind for time. Maybe the rain will stop me doing too much out there tomorrow!
    Portrait artist of the year is on tonight, they were really good last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel another sketch coming on then.

    ReplyDelete