Tuesday 16 December 2014

This morning I set off fairly early as it was the centenary of the First World War bombardment of the Yorkshire coastline, Scarborough was hit and there was loss of life. Flares were being sent up from the castle to mark the day at 8 am. Another clear morning, the sea looked great as usual.
The flares were a bit late going off so I was getting chilly fingers holding the camera and waiting! The sun coming up was good to watch though.
I was beginning to think I had got the time wrong, but the flares began to be fired and then I though I might not catch the moment. I did, not brilliant, but glad I went down to see.
By the time they were finished the sunrise was lovely.

Walking back home the park was pretty in pink!


6 comments:

  1. Well worth the effort of going there and then freezing. The castle looks great in silhouette, as always, and you caught the flares ok. Mission accomplished.

    You got to see a lovely sunrise too. Lovely start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was really pleased that I went, no one else on the seafront watching which surprised me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose locals have seen it many times over the years, the warmth kept them at home. You were very brave but the pink sky looks lovely.
    Well Done xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth it, was out this evening to a volunteers meal. x

      Delete
  4. I watched it on the news and kept my eyes peeled for you it was a brilliant display and commemoration xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not another soul looking from the North Bay! x

      Delete