Saturday, 29 August 2026

Birnam Highland Games

 We set off just after ten and walked into Dunkeld along the river path.

We had a coffee and looked into some shops and the went to The Cross to see the band get ready to start their March to the games at noon.



They went over the bridge on their way to the field followed by a huge crowd of people. We had a walk right round the field, saw the hammer throw and running and cycle races. Several huts where pipers were being marked and highland dancing. 







We walked back into Dunkeld as Tina’s friends wanted to try Clootie dumplings. I had some too.
Darren ani I made our way home and Tina and the girls went for a walk and back to the games. They saw the haggis eating competition and and the caber toss.
I was quite weary so watered the garden and got dinner for myself and Darren and feet up time now.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great day to me, and a dry one at that. It’s a very popular event obviously. A good turnout which makes it all worthwhile. I wish we kept traditions going down like they do up there. You’re a lot better off up there as everything is going to the dogs down here. Some places have banned the flying of the George cross in certain places because it might upset non native brits! Can you imagine that happening up there, I can’t. Won’t be worth living here soon. No wonder so many are moving abroad.
    I’m guessing you really enjoyed it all, especially the Clootie dumplings, even if the day was tiring. I like the sound of the haggis eating competition too. I might have considered having a go 😊
    Enjoy what’s left of the evening with your feet up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to go along to the games, good atmosphere and lots of bagpipes. The band was quite small but good to see how many youngsters were playing so the tradition should carry on for years.
    Apparently they had to eat a whole haggis, and keep it down, could wash it down with beer. Tina said the winner ate it in less than a minute!
    The clootie dumpling was good and plenty of cream with it.
    Must remember to take a chair with me next year.

    ReplyDelete