Saturday, 22 August 2026

Pinhole camera workshop

 I caught the 8.34am but into Perth, I found my way to the library okay bit it wasn’t open, I walked to the Morrisons and would have had a drink but there was a long queue so I went to the loo and then back to the library. Funky door was closed when I first got there.

And this wall art was near Morrisons.
There were eight of us on the workshop and Paul explained a bit about pinhole cameras and showed us how to make one. We had all taken a box or tin along with us. My friend Michelle bought this box for me years ago, sorry I didn’t take the picture before I made it into a camera!
Just took one photo while we were making them, this was when the pinhole was made and stuck on.
Had lined the tin by then.
When we had all made our cameras Paul gave us all a small ready made one which was loaded, and we set off for quite a long walk round the back streets of Perth looking as art and hopefully taking a photo as we were going to a different building to develop them.



The next one is the one I took my photo of, not that you could tell, but more of that later.

The cow not the nearest one!




Paul did show us a chart with approximate exposure time but most of us over exposed the photos which was disappointing. But mine wasn’t completely black!
We then loaded our own cameras and went outside to take a photo which we could go back and develop. I am really quite pleased with this one.
It was quite a way from the city centre and I had a while before the next train so had a drink at the museum and then walked to the station, another fair distance, and uphill!  On the station there was a Train wash, a bit like a car wash.
I was indoors for a while and recovering as I was very tired and then went with Darren to get some groceries, as Tina has had a bad head today. 
Took this one from the side window of the car on the way home.
Feet up now and won’t be doing much before bed!





3 comments:

  1. Lots of pics tonight and not all taken on the phone. Well having said that I suppose the pinhole ones were taken on the phone to be able to show them on here………..if you see what I mean!
    That is a very funky door on the library. Shame you didn’t get a drink before you went in. The wall art is also amazing. I’d love to see how they actually do that. They just appear!
    Great tin for your camera. People might think the hole is rather large, but I’m assuming the card stuck on the other side has the pinhole in it. It’s cool that that’s all you need apart from some photographic paper. It’s a lot of years since I tried, but I found it fun. I think your two pics were a good effort. Even the darker one has a lot of detail in it. The other one is great. The exposure is so much better. With a bit more practice you’d soon get some even better results. A great workshop to attend.
    Good job you didn’t have to take all the pics for tonight’s blog with the pinhole camera. You’d probably still be there 😊📷
    Do you know I’ve never thought about how they washed trains. I’d always picture a man with a brush and a spray. It makes perfect sense to drive through like a car wash. Good job I don’t work for the railways 😊
    Love the last pic. That sky is beautiful. Not bad from a moving car!
    All in all a good day for pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great workshop, really interesting and nice to have something to show for it. Walking round the less busy parts of Perth looking at the art that is installed in these out of the way places was interesting too, a.though you would never find them on your own! Not sure how much I will use the camera, if you want an image but can’t get to develop it you need to leave the camera in one place for a couple of weeks, then take a quick photo of the image before it fades away! Will try it at least once though as my camera has paper and is ready to go. I was impressed by the clarity of the car photo as looking ahead works quite well, but from the side not usually too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be really interested in the 2 week photo. You'll have to think well about it as I suppose the weather will make a difference to what you can take. Great little project though.

    ReplyDelete