Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Big day in Dundee

 Today the three of us went unto Dundee. Tina and Darren were kind enough to take me there for the end of a mission, but we decided to make a day of it. When I was at art school some 63 years ago I designed a ring, I think as a technical drawing test rather than to make it. I have held on to the original drawing all these years and this year I decided to try and get it made to give to Anya. The first jeweller I approached said he couldn’t make it but gave me Islay’s number and she said she could. She could make a mould or hand build it, I chose the hand built option. Today was when I would collect it. The drawing says a gold ring but I had it made in silver. I have to admit that seeing it made me very emotional.


After that we found a cafe, had a wander round and found the Lush store!



We had a look round some of the exhibits in the museum.











We went to another shopping centre where Tina bought a pair of waterproof trainers. I tried some on but they were too tight.
We called in at a garden centre on the way home and I bought a house plant! I have entered its details in my journal.
Having a quiet evening now.

2 comments:

  1. What a great mission to finally finish. The ring looks great. I bet you never thought you would see it made. But after all those years it was worth the wait. It looks lovely and you should be, and I’m sure you are, very proud of it making it to a final product. Anya will be so pleased to have it, and also Isobel in years to come. I bet you never thought all those years ago you would be creating an heirloom that will hopefully be in the family for many years. A few tears when you first saw it are totally expected 🙂
    It looks like you had some nice weather for your day out. The museum has some great exhibits. It looks a very nice place and I’m guessing you’ll be going again.
    A houseplant to end a good day…….because you always need more houseplants 😂🤣
    A special one too as it’s the first new one for the journal.
    After your exciting day a quiet evening sounds the best idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very special moment for me and it has made me proud.
    The museum was great, a lovely building too. We only sore a small part so there is plenty more to see, and other attractions in Dundee so Iam sure we will go again.
    The plant is lovely, Tina spotted it, and it is quite different from the rest. None of the books I have bought listed it so I had to look up the details on line.

    ReplyDelete