Tuesday, 28 July 2026

No fish and chips again!

 I am only making two Christmas cakes this year, and it is time to get them made, especially while Tina is away as she doesn’t like the smell of them cooking. I got the ingredients for one weighed yesterday evening and left the mixed fruit soaking overnight. I wasn’t sure about using the fan oven and I prefer gas for the cakes, but it turned out okay. Can only make one t a time as two won’t bait on the shelf.

We had been looking forward to the fish and chips at the garden centre, they were on offer for loyalty card members on Tuesdays in July. We went a couple of weeks ago and arrived too late so today we were there before twelve, only to be told the fryer was broken! We did enjoy an alternative but were a bit disappointed. As we didn’t have the ice cream yesterday we had dessert at the ice cream place.
A bit out of order, there was a little bear at the garden centre.
And I bought a new pot to put the repotted plant in.
I changed the water in my flowers and put them back in two vases as the gladioli were being overwhelmed.

The fruit for the second cake is soaking ready for tomorrow.
I have had a message to say that the ring being made from my college design is ready. Tina is taking me to  Dundee to collect it next week.
We had rain last night and some more this evening, no watering and everywhere is fresher.

2 comments:

  1. It must feel like heaven only making two cakes this year, but there’ll be a lot of disappointed people about. All finished tomorrow then. Just a bit of feeding a bit of icing. A doddle this year! Todays looks nice. And regardless of what Tina thinks, I bet the kitchen smelt good.
    You’re not destined to have those fish and chips, but I bet the ice cream made up for it, it certainly looks good!
    That’s one more bear you can tick off your list. They’re so colourful.
    You do have some beautiful pot plants. That one looks really good in its new pot.
    The cut flowers are lasting well. Is that the full bunch in the two pots, or have you had to get rid of any wilting ones? I don’t know what they do to them these days, but they certainly last longer than they used to.
    I bet you’re gagging to see the finished ring. I bet you never thought you’d ever see it made when you designed it.
    I wish we had some rain, it’s very dry here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, much better to be making two cakes, I have made them for a good few years now. I know people will be disappointed but the logistics of getting them delivered and much less storage here.
    It was a shame about the fish and chips but the sundaes made up for it!
    I kept all the flowers, I don’t usually take them all out to refresh the water but you really couldn’t see the gladioli amongst the rest of the flowers,
    I know that the design of the ring had to be adapted to what is possible, but I am really pleased to be able to give the ring to Anya.

    ReplyDelete