Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Busy day

 This morning I went along to the Evergreen gardening group. I have been once before but it is quite spasmodic as the lady who runs it has numerous responsibilities in her job. Today we cleared out a raised trough bed and replanted it with bulbs and winter bedding.

Very enjoyable and I will walk round that way now and again to see how it is looking. I also made an origami seed packet, which was easy and fun. They were a small group but friendly and they were amused by my Birnam hill escapade.
As soon as I got home the three of us set off to Falkland to got in the palace. We had lunch when we got there before going into the palace. A really interesting place and plenty of steps! We started at the top of one of the towers and what an amazing bedroom. The four poster bed was very grand with wonderful carving and even the inside of the canopy was decorated.


The en suite was pretty impressive too!
We moved on.


The chapel was lovely and there is still a service there every Sunday. The chairs are quite small, the owner at the time they were bought got them from a school as that would be cheaper that pews!


This next photo is World War Two trench art, by Polish prisoners of war, and is in a league of its own.
This cap was not only pretty but the description is interesting.






This is the ceiling of a study.



We then had a wander in the grounds.







A nice drive home and a quiet evening now.

3 comments:

  1. You have had a busy day. I do like the raised planter. It’s very nice and so much easier to work on. I’m sure it’ll look really nice in full bloom. Will you actually use the seed packet for seeds, and will you make any more? They sound like a really nice group.
    The trip to Falkland was well worth it. What a beautiful place, inside and out. I love that bed and would happily spend the night in it. The workmanship in it is amazing. The en suite is definitely impressive! The thing is it does the job it’s intended for.
    I love the story about the school chairs as pews πŸ˜‚ Waste not want not and save a few quid too!
    I’ve seen lots of trench art over the years and it’s nearly always amazing what they did with so little tools and materials. That has to be one of the best I’ve seen. You’d struggle nowadays to replicate that.
    The coif must have taken hours to embroider. I thought your embroidery was a long job, so probably best not to start one of those next 😊
    I always like to see the kitchens in places like that. Again, they produced some amazing dishes without all the gadgets we have these days.
    The grounds look great too, especially the giant toadstools!
    Without a doubt a place to revisit in the future as I’m sure there’s still lots to see.
    A nice quiet evening is a good finish to a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice day altogether. I will make some more seed packets and will use them. It was enjoyable clearing and planting the trough with a couple of other people.
    Falkland palace is just so interesting and the volunteers were only too happy to tell you the stories. A lot of steps to climb and some quite steep ones, but I took it steadily and was glad we took our time.
    The grounds are lovely too and I particularly wanted to see the willow lady.
    We would like to explore th very pretty little town as well, so hopefully we will be going back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your todo list must be getting quite long 😊

    ReplyDelete