Second attempt, I had just done a long post and managed to clear it!
This morning I decided to try and walk prt of the Birnam hill route to the Kings seat, which apparently has wonderful views. There is a round walk that is about four miles which I thought would be too long. The steeper part of the route was shorter so decided to go up to it and back down that way. I was writing comments as I went the first time but. This time I will do all the writing, save it and then add the photos. Firstly I made t my way to the station and then walked up the glen next to the burn. I went past some houses and saw a lady coming down what looked love a walking route. She said it was the way to the Kings seat but it was very steep and quite slippery, so to be careful. I took a lot of photos of the pth and then the view as I went up, but have deleted a lot of the path photos as they were samey and boring. I had been climbing, slowly for what seemed like an age when a couple came up behind me, and past me and the lady asked him to see how much further. He said bout half way! They disappeared and I carried on t my pace. I got up to a rocky mound, seemingly as high as I could go! I was truly exhausted. Phoned Tina to sy I must have gone wrong somewhere and contemplated with horror going down the way I had come up. I had decided while climbing that I ours walk down the longer, less steep route. As I was pondering a guy in a kilt arrived. He would not believe me when I said I had walked up that way. I asked where the viewing point was and he said I must have passed it and he would go down with me to it. As we began to move down I wa very tired and fell backwards into the heather, ended up doing that a few more times! As we started I asked where the kings set was and he said the the rock I had reached was it! I asked how you got to the other side and he said that there was a path round the side. I wasn’t about to climb back up there so I made it but didn’t see the view! It was a tricky and quite long route back to the viewing point, which ws two huge rocks you had to clamber onto to see the view! I told the guy to go and he went, I was then thinking about getting off them! Bless him, he came back and wanted to make sure I was okay on the next steep bits. I did get him to leave when the path was less rocky. I made it home getting on for four hours after I left. The man agreed with me that there wa not way it was only a mile to the top!
And finally the view!























I keep saying it, you should be doing what other ladies your age do, sit in a comfortable chair and crochet, but that’s never going to happen when there are perfectly good mountains out there to climb! That’s quite an adventure you had today. I was worn out just reading it, so I can imagine how you felt. I’m sure you’ll be tempted again another time so you finally get to see the view you missed!
ReplyDeleteI have to say it does look nice from the pics, but some of the paths look really hard. Especially where the tree roots are on the surface mixed in with the humps and bumps. The view you did get to see is quite spectacular and almost worth 4 hours of pain and punishment ๐
What do you have planned for another day…….hang gliding….base jumping……..
Mad as a hatter ๐๐
Quite an adventure indeed. Not in a hurry to do it again, but would definitely like to see the views from the Kings set as the viewing point was quite a way dow from it. The lovely .scot who helped me on the way down was definitely a knight in shining armour, or in a kilt to be exact!
ReplyDeleteWill do something much more sedate tomorrow. Going to the cathedral to see the flower festival
He definitely was a knight in a shining kilt. There are still a few gentlemen around. You should be safe at the cathedral tomorrow, not even you could turn that into an endurance event..... no, that's not a challenge!
ReplyDelete